When it comes to your caring for your smile, you don’t get a break just because you are wearing braces or a retainer. In fact, proper oral hygiene and care of your dental work is even more important while you are having your smile aligned. At Elite Orthodontics, we will talk with you about how to brush and floss and take care of your retainer. But here are some tips for orthodontic hygiene in Buckeye and Surprise, Arizona.
- Try to brush your teeth 30 minutes after each meal and snack.
- Take your time brushing, focus on one or two teeth at a time using short, circular motions.
- Brush the top teeth and then the bottom. Brush down to the wire and then below the wire.
- Talk to our orthodontists about flossing your teeth. You may need to use a floss-threader or other type of interdental brush, since regular flossing may be difficult.
- Be sure to clean your retainer using either a mild dish or hand soap or a toothbrush that does not contain abrasives.
- Brush it gently in cool water with a soft-bristled toothbrush.
- You can also soak it in a cleaning solution.
- Keep your removable in its case when you are not wearing it.
- Depending on your type of retainer, the doctor may give you special brushing and cleaning instructions.
If you have any questions about how to brush and floss or about caring for your dental work, call our offices today and a member of our team will schedule you for an appointment with Dr. Rusty Jones or Dr. Nathan Davis.